Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

New Year's Eve celebrations are always made out to be a big fancy event with food, drinks, party hats, fireworks, midnight kiss, etc. I however, have not really experienced it that way before. True to form, last night I was in bed by 11:00 and brought in the New Year fast asleep! Although, I was slightly awaken every now and then from text messages from friends between the hours of 12:30 and 1:30, but I didn't mind, at least that made me feel a little more cool. I've also never really been one to set a New Years resolution, and I don't think I am setting one this year either. I sound like quite the party pooper don't I! haha Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with setting a resolution....so if you set one this year more power to ya!

In my last blog I promised a nutrition break down of a yummy recipe. However, due to unforseen pure laziness on my part, I did not post it yesterday like I said I would......you have my dearest apologies ;) So this morning I woke up, made some coffee and sat down at the computer (no excuses now). The first recipe I want to share with you is one I adapted from cooking light. It is a yummy yummy pasta dish that is super easy to make and tastes great! So I bring to you......

Lasana Rolls


I've made this dish many of times, and it never disappoints me, I hope you enjoy!

What you need:
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 c finely chopped onions
1 (8oz) sliced mushrooms
1 (6oz) baby spinach-fresh
3 garlic cloves, minced (sometimes I skip this, up to you)
1/2 c part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tbsp minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

(the recipe from cooking light has you prepare your own sauce from scratch, but I just use marinara sauce...shhh)

How to prepare:
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, then drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onions, mushroom, spinach, and garlic; saute for about 5 min.
3. Remove from heat and add cheeses, basil, salt, and crushed red pepper.
5. This step is where you make your sauce, but since I just use marinara sauce, I simply heat it up on the stove...done and done!
4. Place cooked noodles on a flat surface, spread 1/4 cup mixture over each noodle. Roll up the noodles. Place rolled up noodles (seam side down) in a shallow microwave safe dish. Pour marinara sauce over the top of the rolls and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes.

Nutrition Breakdown:
Serving size: 2 rolls
Calories: 393
Fat : 11.7
Protein: 19.3
Carbs: 58.3
Fiber 5.9

Now sit down at the table and enjoy this light, healthy, and yummy meal! If you have any tips, suggestions, etc please let me know!

Simply sweet,
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. yummmm I think I am going to make that this week!! however, how in the world can you skip out on the garlic!?! I would probably double it....I can't get enough!! haha

    ReplyDelete